Five Steps to Turning a Smile Design into a Piece of art!
Thanks to a smile design, it is possible to improve your teeths appearance and thus have a dazzling smile.
Over the years, our teeth can be affected by various problems: cavities, cracks, fractures, stains, discoloration, etc. These problems can significantly affect dental health and aesthetics.
When a person is not happy with their smile, it affects their self-esteem and how they interact with others.
But not all hope is lost. Dentistry has evolved in such a way that it is no longer only responsible for repairing or extracting teeth, but now it also makes it possible to beautify people’s smiles.
Thanks to multiple dental treatments, it is possible to improve the aesthetic aspects of the teeth. Whatever problem affects the appearance of a person’s teeth, they can easily be corrected with a “smile design.”
What is a smile design?
A smile design is a procedure that allows correcting various problems that could affect the dental aesthetics of a patient through the application of different cosmetic dentistry treatments. The treatments that make up the smile design will be determined by the needs and dental problems that affect the patient.
What treatments can be used in a smile design?
To make a smile design, it is necessary to know which aspects you want to correct to choose the appropriate treatments. Generally, a smile design is made up of cosmetic dentistry treatments, such as:
- Porcelain veneers: these are small thin sheets that adhere to the surface of a stained, worn, cracked, or crooked tooth. Veneers allow you to recreate the natural appearance of a tooth.
- Dental crowns: Dental crowns serve to cover and protect teeth that are broken, worn, or damaged by cavities, thus offering an aesthetic improvement.
- Teeth whitening: trough this procedure, it is possible to remove stains and lighten the teeth’s color tone.
- Gingivoplasty: it is a surgical procedure in which a small part of the gum tissue is removed to give it a more symmetrical shape.
- Aesthetic braces: An alternative to metal braces are aesthetic braces. These are made of porcelain or sapphire and allow correcting the teeths incorrect alignment and defects in the bite.
- Invisalign: Invisalign clear aligners work in the same way as conventional braces, allowing you to correct crooked or crowded teeth. They are made of a transparent plastic, which makes them practically indistinguishable, and they are also removable.
- Dental implants: it is a periodontal surgery in which titanium pieces are inserted into the jaw bone that serves as the base for artificial teeth. This procedure allows you to replace missing teeth.
How is a smile design done?
A smile design is a meticulous process that takes several steps:
The first step is to determine the problems to be corrected and to develop a treatment plan. The dentist performs a clinical examination, in addition to X-rays and photographs of the patient’s teeth.
The next step is to define the goals of treatment. The data obtained in the first step are studied, and the possible results are determined.
If necessary, orthodontic treatment is performed. When required to correct crooked or crowded teeth, orthodontic treatment is performed before proceeding with the next procedures. You can choose to use a treatment based on conventional metal braces or aesthetic porcelain or sapphire braces. However, the most recommended orthodontic treatment for patients who wish to maintain their dental aesthetics is clear aligners.
After having applied the orthodontic treatment (if necessary), the following treatment is performed. Depending on the patients’ needs and the problems to be corrected, it may be required to place dental crowns or porcelain veneers.
The last step in any smile design treatment is teeth whitening. Through this procedure, a whitening substance is applied to the tooth surface to remove stains and lighten the teeth’s color. This is one of the most requested methods, as it allows patients to enjoy a brighter and more attractive smile.
How long does it take to complete the smile design?
The process can take from several weeks to several months; this will depend on the severity of the dental problems that need to be corrected. Treatments are performed separately since each procedure is intended to correct a specific issue. The fewer issues that need to be fixed, the shorter the duration of the process.
If orthodontic treatment is necessary, the process’s duration will be longer since orthodontic treatments generally last between 1 to 2 years.
If a gingivoplasty is necessary, it is essential to wait for the gums to heal before applying the next treatment. This could take up to 10 weeks.
Besides, the process’s duration could increase from 6 months to a year, if necessary performing dental implant surgery.
A smile design is a procedure that allows many patients to improve the aesthetics of their smile, and consequently, enhance their self-esteem.
At FRESHDental, we offer the best quality, affordable prices, and a wide variety of treatments to improve the health and appearance of your teeth. If you are looking for the best place to receive a smile design procedure according to your needs, do not hesitate and visit our dental practice in Gastonia, NC. At FRESHDental, your dental health is our priority!