Approximately 92% of adults have experienced a cavity. Cavities occur as a result of tooth decay, and if left untreated, they can severely damage teeth and lead to a decline in oral health. Though cavities are common, at Fresh Dental, Hickory dentists Drs. Thayer Bouali, Joti Johal, and Richard Dunning can easily fix them using a routine, restorative dental treatment called a dental filling, also known as a tooth filling.
What Is a Dental Filling?
A dental filling can be made out of a variety of materials and is used to fill and seal the hole caused by a cavity, preventing decay from spreading to the rest of the tooth. Drs. Bouali, Johal, and Dunning quickly, easily, and comfortably remove decay from a tooth before it progresses. The type of tooth filling that is used is largely based on your needs and preferences.
Types of Fillings
You are probably most familiar with gold and silver/amalgam fillings, but these are only two of several options you will have if you find yourself with a cavity. Though both gold and amalgam fillings are good options, they also stand out against the pearly whites they are preserving and protecting. Fortunately, there are less obvious alternatives available.
Types of Fillings
- Amalgam fillings: Amalgam tooth fillings are affordable and durable, able to last 10 to 15 years or longer. Because they are made of silver, they do not match the surrounding tooth and may stand out.
- Gold fillings: Gold tooth fillings are very durable and last at least 10 to 15 years. Though they don’t match the surrounding tooth, some prefer the coloring and shine to that of amalgam fillings. Gold fillings tend to cost more than other materials.
- Composite resin fillings: Composite tooth fillings are made from a mixture of plastic and fine-glass particles. They last at least five years and match the color of your teeth. They generally cost less than gold fillings but more than amalgam fillings, and they can take up to two appointments to complete.
- Porcelain fillings: Porcelain tooth fillings last approximately five to seven years, with a wide range of pricing. They match the color of your teeth and are more resistant to staining than composite fillings.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Do fillings ever need to be replaced?
A: Though they are very durable, most fillings will need to be replaced eventually. How long they last depend heavily on the type of filling you get.
Q: Does it hurt to get a filling?
A: Drs. Bouali, Johal, and Dunning can perform both the removal of the decay and the filling placement in such a way that you will remain comfortable and free of pain.
Q: How long will it take for me to be able to eat, speak, brush, and floss as usual after receiving a filling?
A: Shortly after receiving a filling, you should be able to do all of the things you normally would do.
As your Hickory dentist, the staff at Fresh Dental is happy to answer any of your questions about fillings. Call (828) 270-3007 to learn more or to set up an appointment.
Professional in every area✔️
Love the staff and dentist here at FreshDental!!
I am so thankful to Dr. Johal and her professional staff. She was able to care for me knowing that financially I would take a long time to come through and when other dentists would not want to bother, since I had just been through chemo treatment. Thank you so much Dr. Joti!
Friendly staff, very upfront, honest and educated doctors.
I would like to give a shout out for Fresh Dental Hickory , I had a great experience , not knowing what I was gonna face. My Hygienist ( Shannon) Done a teeth cleaning ,she was gentle ,and also in the areas I had a sensitive tooth. Shannons ,work and her personality is great. Also Shari the Dental Assistant that worked with Dr. Joti Johal was both great !!!!I had X-rays and a filling filled.. They explain everything to you before doing anything. I recommend fresh dental Hickory , to anyone including someone never been to a dentist and is scared. Even to the office ( April ) she’s great... Thank all of you for a good experience.. Lisa.
Dental Services Offered at Hickory NC FRESHDental
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Implants
- Digital X-rays
- Emergency Dental Services
- Family Dentist
- Fixed and Removeable Bridges
- Fluoride Treatment
- General Dentistry
- Gum Disease Treatment
- Hygiene Services
- Inlays and Onlays
- Oral Cancer Screenings
- Porcelain Veneers
- Professional Teeth Cleanings
- Root Canals
- Smile Design Treatment
- Teeth Whitening
- Tooth Decay Prevention
- Tooth Extractions
- Tooth Fillings
- Wisdom Teeth Removal
Looking for a dentist?
Are you looking for a dentist or have some questions? Having an emergency?