At Fresh Dental, we understand that having a complete, natural smile is key to feeling confident in your daily life. We also know that on occasion, circumstances may arise that require a patient to receive a routine or emergency tooth extraction in order to preserve overall oral health. As your Park road dentist, Drs. Thayer Bouali, Joti Johal, and Richard Dunning know that the decision to extract can be a difficult one, so they make sure that every aspect of the procedure is as stress-free and comfortable for our patients as possible by keeping you well informed, aware of what is happening, and aware of what your choices are along the way.
When Is a Tooth Extraction Needed?
A tooth extraction is performed only after all alternatives have been considered and ruled out. Situations that may lead to an extraction include:
- Infection or risk of infection from decay (may require emergency tooth extraction)
- A tooth that is severely damaged from trauma (may require emergency tooth extraction)
- Impacted wisdom teeth (results in a wisdom tooth extraction)
- Overcrowded teeth (often requires orthodontic treatment)
What Is a Tooth Extraction?
A tooth extraction is a routine procedure for Drs. Bouali, Johal, and Dunning, though in some instances, an emergency tooth extraction may be called for. The procedure includes:
- X-rays to assess the location, size, and position of the tooth to be removed to help determine the extent of the procedure
- An assessment of the anesthesia and sedation options that will best serve your needs, allowing for a pain-free, less-than-memorable experience
- The careful removal of the tooth, which often includes a bone-preserving graft
After the tooth has been removed, Drs. Bouali, Johal, and Dunning will have you bite down on some gauze in order to help stop the bleeding, so that a blood clot can form.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
After your extraction, your recovery typically takes a couple of days. The following tips will help you relieve discomfort and avoid complications.
- Take pain relievers as prescribed or recommended.
- Leave gauze in place for the recommended amount of time.
- Apply ice for 10 minutes at a time to minimize swelling after the procedure.
- Avoid rinsing, sucking, or spitting for six hours after the procedure.
- After six hours, rinse your mouth with ½ teaspoon of salt and warm water.
- Do not smoke.
- Eat soft foods the day after the extraction; gradually add solid foods as the extraction site heals.
- Avoid the extraction site when brushing your teeth.
When teeth must be removed, especially ones that appear in your smile, there are a number of natural-looking, permanent tooth-replacement options, such as implants, that can give your smile a second chance.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Are tooth extractions painful?
A: It is normal to experience some pain after the anesthetic wears off. There may also be some swelling and bleeding for up to 24 hours after the tooth extraction. If pain is severe or bleeding doesn’t stop, you should contact us immediately.
Q: What is dry socket?
A: On occasion, the blood clot that has formed in the socket breaks loose. This is referred to as dry socket.
Q: Will insurance cover tooth extractions?
A: Whether your tooth extraction or emergency tooth extraction is covered by your insurance depends on your provider. Our staff will help you find out if your extraction is covered and, if not, what additional financial solutions are available to you.
To schedule an appointment with our Park road dental office, contact us today.
I came to Fresh Dental with a lot of issues with my teeth. The quality of my care is unsurpassed. My teeth are healthier than ever. The friendliest and kindest people I have ever been cared for by. Extremely professional care.
Awesome.. very informative friendly staff. Pleasant visit. Answered all my questions and wasn't misleading, very straight forward. I found my dentist. No more missing my 6 month appointments. Thank you all
I love this place! I’ve found my home. From the front to the back, outstanding service! My doctor was amazing. Dr. Patel was sweet, quick and efficient! Terrence was awesome and the hygienist was amazing! I will be back.
Going to the dentist is never enjoyable but the staff at Fresh Dental made my visit as enjoyable as it could have been! The office was super clean and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable! I called with an emergency and they were able to get me in first thing the following morning. They talked me through the whole procedure and always stopped to make sure I was okay! I would definitely recommend this office and the professionals there!
I absolutely hated the dentist And I would only go if it was extremely necessary. But about a year or 2 ago I want to dental works and I met a doctor Bouali there and at the time I had to have several teeth removed he was able to do the procedure and everything was to done with in an hour I felt no pai n no discomfort this has been the best doctor dentists I have ever gone to. I highly recommend this office Dr.Bouali is the absolute best dentist ive ever see and the staff at each office are A1 service. my entire family is a part of Freah Dental
Dental Services Offered at Park Rd NC FRESHDental
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Implants
- Digital X-rays
- Emergency Dental Services
- Family Dentist
- Fixed and Removeable Bridges
- Fluoride Treatment
- General Dentistry
- Gum Disease Treatment
- Hygiene Services
- Inlays and Onlays
- Oral Cancer Screenings
- Porcelain Veneers
- Professional Teeth Cleanings
- Root Canals
- Smile Design Treatment
- Teeth Whitening
- Tooth Decay Prevention
- Tooth Extractions
- Tooth Fillings
- Wisdom Teeth Removal