Approximately 92% of adults have experienced a cavity. Cavities occur as a result of tooth decay, and if left untreated, they can severely damage teeth and lead to a decline in oral health. Though cavities are common, at Fresh Dental, Park road dentists Drs. Thayer Bouali, Joti Johal, and Richard Dunning can easily fix them using a routine, a restorative dental treatment called a dental filling, also known as a tooth filling.
What Is a Dental Filling?
A dental filling can be made out of a variety of materials and is used to fill and seal the hole caused by a cavity, preventing decay from spreading to the rest of the tooth. Drs. Bouali, Johal, and Dunning quickly, easily, and comfortably remove decay from a tooth before it progresses. The type of tooth filling that is used is largely based on your needs and preferences.
Types of Fillings
You are probably most familiar with gold and silver/amalgam fillings, but these are only two of several options you will have if you find yourself with a cavity. Though both gold and amalgam fillings are good options, they also stand out against the pearly whites they are preserving and protecting. Fortunately, there are less obvious alternatives available.
Types of Fillings
- Amalgam fillings: Amalgam tooth fillings are affordable and durable, able to last 10 to 15 years or longer. Because they are made of silver, they do not match the surrounding tooth and may stand out.
- Gold fillings: Gold tooth fillings are very durable and last at least 10 to 15 years. Though they don’t match the surrounding tooth, some prefer the coloring and shine to that of amalgam fillings. Gold fillings tend to cost more than other materials.
- Composite resin fillings: Composite tooth fillings are made from a mixture of plastic and fine-glass particles. They last at least five years and match the color of your teeth. They generally cost less than gold fillings but more than amalgam fillings, and they can take up to two appointments to complete.
- Porcelain fillings: Porcelain tooth fillings last approximately five to seven years, with a wide range of pricing. They match the color of your teeth and are more resistant to staining than composite fillings.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Do fillings ever need to be replaced?
A: Though they are very durable, most fillings will need to be replaced eventually. How long they last depends heavily on the type of filling you get.
Q: Does it hurt to get a filling?
A: Drs. Bouali, Johal, and Dunning can perform both the removal of the decay and the filling placement in such a way that you will remain comfortable and free of pain.
Q: How long will it take for me to be able to eat, speak, brush, and floss as usual after receiving a filling?
A: Shortly after receiving a filling, you should be able to do all of the things you normally would do.
As your Park road dentist, the staff at Fresh Dental is happy to answer any of your questions about fillings. Contact us to learn more or to set up an appointment.
I came to Fresh Dental with a lot of issues with my teeth. The quality of my care is unsurpassed. My teeth are healthier than ever. The friendliest and kindest people I have ever been cared for by. Extremely professional care.
Awesome.. very informative friendly staff. Pleasant visit. Answered all my questions and wasn't misleading, very straight forward. I found my dentist. No more missing my 6 month appointments. Thank you all
I love this place! I’ve found my home. From the front to the back, outstanding service! My doctor was amazing. Dr. Patel was sweet, quick and efficient! Terrence was awesome and the hygienist was amazing! I will be back.
Going to the dentist is never enjoyable but the staff at Fresh Dental made my visit as enjoyable as it could have been! The office was super clean and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable! I called with an emergency and they were able to get me in first thing the following morning. They talked me through the whole procedure and always stopped to make sure I was okay! I would definitely recommend this office and the professionals there!
I absolutely hated the dentist And I would only go if it was extremely necessary. But about a year or 2 ago I want to dental works and I met a doctor Bouali there and at the time I had to have several teeth removed he was able to do the procedure and everything was to done with in an hour I felt no pai n no discomfort this has been the best doctor dentists I have ever gone to. I highly recommend this office Dr.Bouali is the absolute best dentist ive ever see and the staff at each office are A1 service. my entire family is a part of Freah Dental
Dental Services Offered at Park Rd NC FRESHDental
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Implants
- Digital X-rays
- Emergency Dental Services
- Family Dentist
- Fixed and Removeable Bridges
- Fluoride Treatment
- General Dentistry
- Gum Disease Treatment
- Hygiene Services
- Inlays and Onlays
- Oral Cancer Screenings
- Porcelain Veneers
- Professional Teeth Cleanings
- Root Canals
- Smile Design Treatment
- Teeth Whitening
- Tooth Decay Prevention
- Tooth Extractions
- Tooth Fillings
- Wisdom Teeth Removal